Co-branding Airtasker OneflareCo-branding Airtasker Oneflare
Hero image

Find a local electrician

    LED lights vs halogen lights: Which is better?

    We explore which bulb is best

    Hannah | Oneflare

    Lighting is an essential aspect of any home. However, the commonly used halogen lights can pack so much weight in terms of electricity consumption. It’s no wonder that more and more homeowners are replacing halogen lights with LED lights. Featuring the same light quality, LED lights are the more energy-efficient choice when it comes to lighting.

    LED lights basics

    An LED light is composed of a group of LEDs, which are semiconductors that produce light in the presence of electric current. LED lights are becoming increasingly popular these days, as more homeowners have recognised the marked advantage of using this kind of light source over halogen lights and other forms of lighting.

    Source: Global Event Concepts

    Advantages of using LED lights over halogen lights

    Halogen bulbs, to produce light, only use about 10 percent of the total electricity that passes to them. The remaining 90 percent of electricity is emitted as heat. Aside from the apparent total waste of electricity in producing light, additional energy is consumed if youre using air conditioning, because of the heat emitted by the halogen bulbs. Additionally, some halogen lights require the use of transformers to convert their electric current from 240 volts to 12 volts. Although lower voltage may seem like a good thing, these transformers consume energy as well.

    LED bulbs, however, do not produce heat in the process of generating light. This means that energy savings are two-pronged. First, they utilise lesser electricity for the same light quality. Then, because it does not produce heat, your air conditioner can take a breather as well. Using LED lights can mean 90-percent energy savings on lights alone. Moreover, LED bulbs can last for a long time, so theres no need to replace them every now and then.

    Tips for choosing the right LED light

    There are four aspects you need to consider for choosing the right LED light for your home:

    • Wattage: Most LED bulbs are within the 4W to 14W range, with just about the same light output.
    • Lumens: The higher the rating, the brighter the bulbs light output.
    • Colour temperature: You have the choice of warm white for a warm feel and cool white for colder lights.
    • Beam: This refers to light coverage. Higher beam values mean wider coverage.

    Replacing halogen with LED lights

    One of the best things with the recent innovations in LED lights is that they are designed to make halogen light replacement a seamless process. You can easily remove the halogen bulb and simply replace it with LED bulbs. Alternatively, you can have a licensed electrician replace your homes light fitting with an LED fitting. Either way, you’re set to save on electricity by using LED lights instead of halogen lights.

    Facebook LikeTwitter

    How much will your job cost?

    The Oneflare Cost Guide Centre is your one-stop shop to help you set your budget; from smaller tasks to larger projects.